[mrtg] Re: NT Proc usage... with 2 processors...

Stieers, Ken KStieers at DainRauscher.com
Mon Jul 12 13:44:04 MEST 1999

Jim,

Others have seen the same thing, it also happens if you look at one CPU
twice, once for in and once for out.  The second one shows 100%.  I think
its a really poorly implemented SNMP implementation.   You might want to try
adding the System perfmon object to your MIB and look at the "% Total
Procssor Time" variable.  Here is the description from PerfMon:

"The % Total Processor Time is the average percentage of time that all the
processors on the system are busy executing non-idle threads.  On a
multi-processor system, if all processors are always busy this is 100%, if
all processors are 50% busy this is 50% and if 1/4th of the processors are
100% busy this is 25%.  It can be viewed as the fraction of the time spent
doing useful work.  Each processor is assigned an Idle thread in the Idle
process which consumes those unproductive processor cycles not used by any
other threads. "

HTH,

Ken