[mrtg] Re: GD no longer available, what does this mean for MRTG a nd rrdtool?

Simon Thorpe simon.thorpe at breakertech.com
Mon Jul 12 18:25:16 MEST 1999

disgusting...

I've only just got MRTG and it's supporting tools install, thank god.

When good development such as this is hampered by corporate money grabbing I
want to be sick. I understand that the compression involved is now under
copyright or patent laws, but I wonder what sort of support has been offered
to boutell.com.

I wonder if they, being a free software development, had been offered cut
price or lower rate deals ? If not , why not ? GNU is the perfect example of
how distribution of software can work. I wonder when Microsoft will put in a
bid to buy the rights to GIF =8-)

I have to admit this is so contradictory of what most of us believe the
networks we work with are about. Yes money has to be made to keep us all in
work, but should we charge people for walking on the grass, instead of
support those that are growing it ?

Simon