[mrtg] Re: Total passed data / traffic

Starkweather, Mike mike.starkweather at anheuser-busch.com
Mon Jul 12 18:27:28 MEST 1999

Simon,

I don't think you can do this directly.  The closest you can get directly from
MRTG is to change the Option to Gauge which will treat the traffic number as an
ever increasing value.  The problem here is that it does not start at zero and
occasionally wraps back to zero when the counter overflows.

Your best bet is to build a Perl script that takes a first of the month reading
then tracks usage throughout the month, including counter overflows.  Pass the
output to MRTG using an external Target.

Good luck.

Mike Starkweather
MIS Consultant
314.577.3701