[mrtg] Re: Total passed data / traffic

Tim Kennedy sugarat at thunderhold.sugarat.net
Mon Jul 12 19:43:06 MEST 1999

Simon,

Someone once posted to the list a file calculate_traffic.pl.  It will
calculate the number of bits to pass any interface when given to reference
dates.

I don't remember who wrote it, but you can find it at
http://www.sugarat.net.  It's towards the bottom.

I can't think of a way to graph it offhand that would be easy.

-Tim

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Simon Thorpe wrote:

> My service provider charges me based on the amount of data i've used. I want
> to be able to track this and make
> modifications to the system to reduce as much unwanted traffic as possible.
> My system is the following,
> but what i want is a climbing graph, showing me when I start to get close to
> my 600mb limit. There must be a var in the snmpd that will simply report the
> MAX data thats travelled over that interface since the computer was last
> booted, and would MRTG not just graph it and therefore produce a climbing
> graph ? Or am i missing the point :(

Timothy Kennedy
sugarat.net, Network Management Resources
http://www.sugarat.net