[mrtg] Re: Feature Request

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Sun Jul 18 19:15:16 MEST 1999

> An alternate feature request:  What if the graph line(s) changed color?

As far as I can tell, the BD graphing library only allows one
colour per line.  (I may be wrong about this).

> Another alternate feature request: What if the graph changed color when
> the interface status changed?  Example: router1 is still responding to
> SNMP, but serial0/0 changes status to down.

Same problem as above.  The line would need to change colour
in midstream.

This also doesn't solve my specific problem.  Having the line
change colour when it changes state is not very convincing to
the telcos if the line still shows that there is traffic flowing
when there is none.  Faxing the graph to the telco also removes
the colour change and I'm back to my original problem.

Even one of the authors of MRTG was victimized by this problem.
When AboveNet lost several routers for a few hours earlier this
year due to a failed Cisco IOS upgrade, the graphs at:
	http://www.above.net/traffic/
still showed a horizontal line.  The only clue that the routers
were comatose was that line was absolutely horizontal.

Keep it simple.  Zero traffic and zero data should graph as a zero,
not the last value.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
# 831.336.2558 voice  wb6ssy at ki6eh.#cca.ca.usa.noam  wb6ssy.ampr.org 44.4.18.10