[mrtg] Logs & Old Data

Jeremy Shaffner jer at jorsm.com
Tue Jul 20 22:56:00 MEST 1999

Howdy,

I recently started using MRTG to graph the number of users we have so we
can watch our growth.  I'm trying to create a log file using old data we
have.  I'm using Matt Petach's mrtg_stuffer.pl script from
http://buckaroo.xo.com/MRTG/.

The following is a sample of my data.  The timestamps were taken from the
mod time of the backup passwd files and the "in" and "out" is the number
of active and deactivated users (Accounts disabled via extra characters
in front of their encrypted passwords.)

883756344 1318 87
883757197 1306 82
884101526 1307 102
884106091 1307 102
884118031 1308 101
884122753 1309 100
884195349 1316 99
884198614 1318 97
884206461 1319 96
884214278 1322 95
884271613 1327 94
884300859 1328 90
884300907 1329 89
884375149 1334 89
884455859 1337 88
884629679 1343 87
884708871 1349 86
884727936 1353 85
884970201 1360 84
884972151 1359 85
885223350 1370 84
885224471 1369 85
885224532 1368 86

There's a total of 463 lines..the last is:

915130656 2247 49

I've modified the following lines in mrtg_stuffer.pl:

my($TOP_DIR)   = "/home/admin/work";
my($rateup)    = "/usr/local/bin/rateup";

When I run mrtg_stuffer.pl I get the following...

->  cat numuser.txt | ./mrtg_stuffer.pl new gauge 3000 /home/jer/work
mrtg-numuser.log
OPERATION: new
TYPE: gauge
ABSOLUTE MAX: 3000
WORKDIR: /home/jer/work
FULL DEVICE: mrtg-numuser
hash ptr is: HASH(0x806a3c0)
Got 463 entries...
About to start loop; hash ptr is HASH(0x806a3c0)
[bits about the missing log files left out]
Rateup ERROR:/usr/local/bin/rateup found that mrtg-numuser's log file
time of 897082615 was greater than now (885223350)
ERROR: Let's not do the time warp, again. Logfile unchanged.
Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/bin/rateup found that mrtg-numuser's log file
time of 897082615 was greater than now (886790331)
ERROR: Let's not do the time warp, again. Logfile unchanged.
Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/bin/rateup found that mrtg-numuser's log file
time of 897082615 was greater than now (890761633)
ERROR: Let's not do the time warp, again. Logfile unchanged.

This goes on and on and on...

Am I missing something?

Is anyone else using Matt's script or is anyone doing this a different
way?

Thanks,

Jeremy Shaffner                  JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
System Administrator             7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
jer at jorsm.com                    100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
support at jorsm.com                Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com             Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995