[mrtg] Re: Running MRTG as a Service on NT Server 4.0

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Thu Jul 22 00:33:23 MEST 1999

> MRTG can't run as a service.  There is an updater service that is referenced
> on the MRTG web page that will run MRTG every 5 minutes, or you can use the
> Scheduler service.
> Ken

Correct.  However, I don't like either the buggy NT "at" command,
the "scheduler", or the overhead of cron like programs to do
nothing more than run a one line command every 5 minutes.  What
I do is run a simple batch file:

@echo off
break on
:DOIT
  perl  c:\mrtg-2.8.3\run\mrtg  c:\mrtg-2.8.3\run\mrtg.cfg
  sleep 300
GOTO DOIT

The task manager shows that the sleep program is not consuming
many CPU cycles.

The SLEEP.EXE program is the GNU tools version of the unix
sleep command which simply treads water (does nothing) for
300 seconds (5 minutes).

Details on how to install it for Windoze 95 are at:
	http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/crud/w95mrtg.htm
Installing it on NT is similar.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060
# 831.336.2558 voice  wb6ssy at ki6eh.#cca.ca.usa.noam  wb6ssy.ampr.org 44.4.18.10