[mrtg] Re: Monitoring traps

Tim Kennedy sugarat at thunderhold.sugarat.net
Mon Jul 26 16:49:05 MEST 1999

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Utsav Ratti wrote:

> Is there a way for MRTG to monitor trap messages from routers? I would like
> to monitor these and perform actions based on the trap message (such as
> calling a script to restart the device).

Currently MRTG doesn't ship with an snmptrapd.  MRTG was not designed to
act as a full features Network Mangement solution.  MRTG is for graphing
certain data.  You could, I suppose, graph the traps you receive.  You
know, node down gives you a zero, nod up gives you a one, and you could
track uptime like that.   But you'd still need a trapd to receive and log
the trap, then an external script to parse the trapd.log and pass the
correct information to mrtg.  And a way to make sure that mrtg was run the
isntant a trap was received, or of passing on the timestamp properly.
But at this time, no you can't do that.  Try HP Openview, or software such
as that.

-Tim

Timothy Kennedy
sugarat.net, Network Management Resources
http://www.sugarat.net