[mrtg] Running MRTG on NT - Problems

cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 27 20:50:26 MEST 1999

Lately I"ve been having some problems running MRTG.  I'm running NT 4
Server SP5 and monitoring about 35 devices with about 10 different OIDs
on each device.

I'm using the MRTG service for NT that I got off the link from the MRTG
home page.

I've noticed that lately the service has stopped updating every few
days. When I stop it and restart it it seems to run fine for a few more
days.

I have 10 configuration files, and I run them from a CMD file that gets
run every 5 mins.  Now I've looked at the task mamanger and it seems
that the CMDs seem to build up and not get released.  They are still
listed in Task mamanger but with 0 mem.  Could these piling up cause
the stopping of the service?

I've increased from 5 to 6 minutes now to see if perhaps this makes a
difference.  Perhaps the CMD was overlapping or something.

Can someone suggest a better method of running MRTG every 5 mins on NT
without much resource hogging?

Thanks
Chris