[mrtg] Re: MRTG 2.8 Install and AIX 4.3

David Lang dlang at diginsite.com
Wed Jul 28 20:44:08 MEST 1999

GCC is not compatible with AIX 4.3 Cygnas has a contract to port it but
the goal is end of 1999 beginning of 2000. Also IBM has stated that no
version of AIX prior to 4.3 will be supported as of the end of 1999 so
this is going to cause problems for a lot of people.

the more detailed info of the problem is that gcc cannot link with the AIX
4.3 libraries.

David Lang

 On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 lfiddler at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:50:39 -0600
> From: lfiddler at us.ibm.com
> To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
> Cc: dmason at us.ibm.com
> Subject: [mrtg] MRTG 2.8 Install and AIX 4.3
>

> Hi All,
>
> I'm attempting to install MRTG 2.8.4 on a UNIX box running AIX 4.3.  Upon
> running the ./configure script I receive the following errors:
>
> On the command line:
>   checking for gcc...  gcc
>   checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works...  no
>   configure:  error:  installation or configuration problem:  C compiler cannot
> create executables.
>
> In the config.log file:
>
>   This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
>   running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
>   configure:541: checking for gcc
>   configure:654: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
>   configure:670: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
>   collect2: /usr/lib/libc.a: not an import library
>   configure: failed program was:
>
>   #line 665 "configure"
>   #include "confdefs.h"
>
>   main(){return(0);}
>

> We have recently upgraded the OS from AIX 4.1 to AIX 4.3.  I believe this may
> have caused the problems.  Just for kicks I went back and ran the ./configure
> for MRTG2.7 and received the same errors.  Although I'm fairly useless when it
> comes to C and C compilers running   gcc <input files>  from the command line
> seems to work fine.  I'm running gcc 2.8.1.
>
> It the OS level is the problem, would it be feasible to run the ./configure
> script (along with the entire MRTG directory) on another system then re-tar the
> directory with the make file etc. and put it back on the original system?
>
> Any suggestions or work arounds would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, David
>

> David E. Mason
> Network Management
> (303)924-2601, dmason at us.ibm.com
>

> --

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)