[mrtg] MRTG 2.8 Install and AIX 4.3

lfiddler at us.ibm.com lfiddler at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 28 19:50:39 MEST 1999

Hi All,

I'm attempting to install MRTG 2.8.4 on a UNIX box running AIX 4.3.  Upon
running the ./configure script I receive the following errors:

On the command line:
  checking for gcc...  gcc
  checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works...  no
  configure:  error:  installation or configuration problem:  C compiler cannot
create executables.

In the config.log file:

  This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
  running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

  configure:541: checking for gcc
  configure:654: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
  configure:670: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
  collect2: /usr/lib/libc.a: not an import library
  configure: failed program was:

  #line 665 "configure"
  #include "confdefs.h"

  main(){return(0);}

We have recently upgraded the OS from AIX 4.1 to AIX 4.3.  I believe this may
have caused the problems.  Just for kicks I went back and ran the ./configure
for MRTG2.7 and received the same errors.  Although I'm fairly useless when it
comes to C and C compilers running   gcc <input files>  from the command line
seems to work fine.  I'm running gcc 2.8.1.

It the OS level is the problem, would it be feasible to run the ./configure
script (along with the entire MRTG directory) on another system then re-tar the
directory with the make file etc. and put it back on the original system?

Any suggestions or work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David

David E. Mason
Network Management
(303)924-2601, dmason at us.ibm.com