[mrtg] Re: SNMP Error: no response received

Robin Burger robin.burger at bms.com
Thu Nov 4 15:54:00 MET 1999

The only time that I have had that error is when the device/machine that
I was 'polling' was not working or did not have
there agent running...  I can create it by going to a machine that I have
an agent on, and turning the agent off.  Same error

Since SNMP is a 'polling' type protocol it need to inform you when there
is 'no response received' -

i.e. Check your remote host 192.168.1.2 and see if it has SNMP working.
You could do an snmpwalk of this device/machine to
verify that it is functioning

# snmpwalk 192.168.1.2 public

Someone at the University should know which routers and machines have
SNMP working on them...

Robin