[mrtg] Re: increased granularity

Morten S. Nielsen msn at ipt.dtu.dk
Wed Nov 17 17:17:51 MET 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Neil Calvert wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm working on some up/down style reports using MRTG and have run into
> some 'features'. The way it works is I post a 1 if a device (or port, or
> process, whatever) is up/running, and a 0 if it is not. This works great
> in the daily report.
>
> As you progress from daily to weekly to monthly to yearly however,
> resolution is lost as MRTG averages data, making it harder to see
> outages later down the line. I was wondering if anyone had come up with
> ways to work around this issue? Perhaps by making scripts to safely
> archive each daily gif at midnight, or something? Either that, or is
> there a way to modify the MRTG code to make it keep more granular
> records (at the expense of disk space of course)
>
> Grateful for any suggestions (But Alex, I already know about RRDTool,
> trust me, someday I'll do it! ;) )

Have you thought of posting 0 instead of 1 and 1000 instead of 0. That way
full uptime will be shown as 0 straight out.

But if the device is down the graphs will show:

                |  1 unit  | 10 units | 100 units
  5 min average |   0.3s   |    3s    |    30s
 30 min average |   1.8s   |   18s    |    3min
    2 h average |   7.2s   |  1min12s |   12min
  1 day average |  1min26s | 14min24s |  2h24min

Then you just need the logarithmic features of RRDTool to make a plot
of "log(post+1)" in order to see peaks and bottoms with high resolution
at the same time.

Servicepack SR12 for NT. Available at www.linux.org

--    Morten S. Nielsen    mailto:msn at ipt.dtu.dk
--
--  |   Linux - the choice of a GNU generation   |
--  |      Skaane Sjaelland Linux User Group     |