[mrtg] Re: increased granularity

Matt Wibby Matt.Wibby at nsc.com
Wed Nov 17 16:34:12 MET 1999

hey neil,

how about the WithPeak target? it is working well for me on the weekly and
monthly graphs for a variety of statistics.

matt

ncalvert at cabletron.com on 11/17/99 09:47:00 AM
To:	mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch@Internet
cc:	 (bcc: Matt Wibby/Americas/NSC)
Subject:	[mrtg] increased granularity

Hi all

I'm working on some up/down style reports using MRTG and have run into
some 'features'. The way it works is I post a 1 if a device (or port, or
process, whatever) is up/running, and a 0 if it is not. This works great
in the daily report.

As you progress from daily to weekly to monthly to yearly however,
resolution is lost as MRTG averages data, making it harder to see
outages later down the line. I was wondering if anyone had come up with
ways to work around this issue? Perhaps by making scripts to safely
archive each daily gif at midnight, or something? Either that, or is
there a way to modify the MRTG code to make it keep more granular
records (at the expense of disk space of course)

Grateful for any suggestions (But Alex, I already know about RRDTool,
trust me, someday I'll do it! ;) )

Neil