[mrtg] MRTG and Exchange

Alexander Fichman alexf at ipexsoft.co.il
Tue Nov 23 15:13:17 MET 1999

Well, just made it work!
It is possible to produce graphs of the internal workings of Exchange Server
with MRTG, this includes the MTA and IMC.
Right now I used off-the-shelf counters and did not compile my own.
Steps needed to install the counters and sub-agent:

1. Install the SNMP service on your ExSrv (Exchange Server) machine. Set up
the community name (DO NOT leave the default "Public") and set it to READ
ONLY! Leave the traps alone for now.
2. Reapply the latest NT service pack (very important!).
3. Insert the Exchange server 5.5 CD into the Exchange machine, point to
X:\SERVER\SUPPORT\SNMP\I386 (where X is your CD drive and you run on Intel
machine) and initiate install.bat. This batch will copy the needed files to
system32 and write the needed registry values.
4. At this point I reapplied Exchange Server SP3 - to be on the safe side.
5. On the monitoring machine, install ActiveState Perl from
www.activestate.com <http://www.activestate.com>
6. Install GetIF (MIB browser, my favorite) from
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/
<http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/>  and put the file
exchange.mib from the Exchange Server snmp CD directory into the MIBS folder
at the location where you installed GetIF.
7. Download MRTG from http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/
<http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/>  (2.8.9 or better),
read the manual and follow the instructions at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/nt-guide.html
<http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/nt-guide.html>
8. DO NOT install any other PerfMIB on the destination machine at this time,
as it will override the exchange counters you just installed. There are
other SNMP counters packages for NT that add many NT counters but do not
include the ExSrv ones. To have both, I will probably need to compile them
myself... :-(
9. Point GetIf to your ExSrv machine and start the MIB browser. you should
see the ExSrv counters under the OID
.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.microsoft.software.systems.os.winn
t.performance (.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1).
9. Run "perl cfgmaker " with your ExSrv machine as the destination to
produce a preliminary .cfg file, which you will experiment with later. It
will have your ExSrv's NIC settings when done.
the syntax is: path\Perl \path\cfgmaker <community string>@IP > exchange.cfg
10. Make sure to make the necessary modifications to the .cfg file (at least
the "WorkDir" parameter which tells MRTG where to save the produced html,
log and graphics files).
11. Make sure MRTG is running at least EVERY 5 minutes! I recommend the
"MRTG Statistic Updater" at http://www.queso.com/mrtgstatupdater.htm
<http://www.queso.com/mrtgstatupdater.htm>  .
12. Start experimenting!

some valuable OIDs I found on my machine include:

Total kilobytes of message data queued in the Internet Mail Service queues:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.29.0
Total messages waiting in the Internet Mail Service queues:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.28.0
The hourly rate at which inbound connections were received:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.27.0
The hourly rate at which outbound connections were made (hourly):
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.26.0
The total number of outbound messages delivered to their destinations:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.21.0
The total number of Internet messages delivered into MS Exchange Server:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.20.0
The total number of Non-delivery reports generated for inbound mail:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.16.0
The total number of Non-delivery reports generated for outbound mail:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.17.0
The number of messages received from the Internet destined for MS Exchange
Server:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.15.0
The number of messages from MS Exchange Server, that are queued to be
delivered to the Internet:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1.3.14.0

And there are many more!

if you cannot seem to get a response from your machine, check that the
destination SNMP service is started.
if it is, parse the snmp install script (install.bat) on the ExSrv CD and
check that the files were indeed copied and registry values written into the
registry. Check that you use the correct community name.
You can e-mail me for assistance.
Then you need to modify the .cfg file MRTG will work with to add the ExSrv
OIDs. I am currently experimenting at building one and will share my
findings.

Good luck,
alexf