[mrtg] RouterUptime

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at denalics.net
Tue Nov 23 23:52:42 MET 1999

	Having some fun here.  There is a RouterUptime setting, so one
can spec the host that the uptime setting comes from.  However, the
snmp var it polls seems to be hardwired.

	This would normally not be an issue, but when monitoring a
host, it can be very wrong.  For example, if I have a host that has
been up for 60 days, but the SNMP daemon was restarted 32 days ago for
a config change,

system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (275617995) 31 days, 21:36:19

and

host.hrSystem.hrSystemUptime.0 = Timeticks: (519492554) 60 days, 3:02:05

	RouterUptime takes host and community, but seems to be
hardwired to system.sysUpTime.0

	Am I missing somthing here?  It would be nice to be able to
report actual system uptime rather than SNMP daemon uptime.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.