[mrtg] getting MAC addresses from switches

Rob Walker rob at valinux.com
Wed Nov 24 21:32:41 MET 1999

I am watching some HP 4000M switches, with 72 ports in each of them.
The problem with this is that we don't have the names or IP addresses
of the clients which are tied to those ports in the html produced by
mrtg.

I think that we should write a perl script to get the port to MAC
address mappings on the switches, and then look that up in my arp
cache.  However, I can't find these variables on these switches.

Has anyone done this before?  Could I take a look at your scripts?

thx,
rob