[mrtg] Re: Adding livingston mibs to snmpget

Niels Baggesen Niels.Baggesen at uni-c.dk
Tue Nov 30 10:08:45 MET 1999

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 10:12:59 +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> Slightly offtopic, but I guess there must be somebody fluent in smtp
> here...

Probably, but it would be rather off-topic ...

> I would like snmpwalk to display the names instead of just the numbers for
> the oid's in my Livingston/Lucent PM2/3's, so I went to
> www.livingston.com, and got le38.mib and le42.mib.
>
> I put both in /usr/local/share/snmp where a lot of other mib's were.

So, I assume you use ucd-snmp ?

> snmpwalk must be reading them, because it complained about dual definition
> of livingston enterprice, so I removed le42.mib; I don't have a pm4...
>
> But I still just get numbers...

What you have seen is just the result of scanning the directory, to find
out the names of the mibs in there.

You have to tell snmpwalk to load the mib file too. You do that by adding
-m +Name-Of-Mib (the name found at the top of the file, in the
Name-Of-Mib DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
clause (or, if you are lazy, and haven't got too many mib files, you just
tell it -m ALL)

See snmpcmd(1) for details.

/Niels

--
Niels Baggesen,  UNI-C,  Olof Palmes Alle 38,  DK-8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Email: Niels.Baggesen at uni-c.dk - Tel: +45 8937 6669 - Fax: +45 8937 6677