[mrtg] Re: Question on In & Out Stats

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at denalics.net
Thu Oct 7 22:26:22 MEST 1999

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Isaac wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is probably a lame question but I need to confirm this before I can ask
> for more
> bandwidth.  Any help would be great.
>
> MRTG 2.5.3 is reporting that our T1 to our upstream provider is using 94.7%
> IN
> (1457.1 kb/s)
>
> and 33.1% OUT (511.1 kb/s).
>
> My question is do I add these two numbers together to get the total?  Or is
> the OUT part of the IN stats?  Meaning, are we using 94.7% of a T1 or  94.7%
> IN *plus* 33.1% OUT and we are totally saturated?

	A DS1 is a bi-dir sync path.  You have 1.544Mbit *each* way.

	So, you are at 94.7% of max on the incoming, and 33.1% of max
on the outgoing.

	Given that these are 5 min average values I would say that
your DS1 is more than saturated.  BTW:  This type of usage is normal
for an ISP that primarily serves customers rather than content.

 ---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.