[mrtg] MRTG problems under NT4 SP5

Adam Meixler AdamM at interlink1.com
Thu Oct 14 18:11:49 MEST 1999

I'm new to MRTG and so far love it. I've installed it on 20+ Windows 2000
RC1 and RC2 server's but I'm having difficulty installing it on one NT4
server. I keep getting the error.

D:\Apps\mrtg\run>perl cfgmaker public at altron.interlink1.com
<mailto:public at altron.interlink1.com>  > mrtg2.cfg
SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "altron.interlink1.com" [207.60.197.84].161
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 169610760
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for sysDescr sysContact sysName sysLocation ifNumber
sysObjectID
 on public at altron.interlink1.com <mailto:public at altron.interlink1.com>

I've added the community routeInfo, restarted countless time's and
reinstalled SP5 countless times, but the same "noSuchName" error comes up
for the routeInfo community also. In 2000 MRTG doesn't seem to care which
interface on multi-homed machines you give it to make the config from, is
this true or not for NT4 (this NT server has 4 Nic's a PPTP connector and
three modems).

And of course any help at all with this problem would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you in advance,

Adam Meixler