[mrtg] Re: MRTG scaling and performace issues ?

David C Prall dcp at dcptech.com
Tue Oct 19 14:48:03 MEST 1999

> > I'm running mrtg 2.8.8. on a RedHat Linux 6.0, on a 200 Mhz Pentium,
96 MB
> > memory. I have about 56 configuration files, with about 500 targets.
Most
> > targets are on our LAN, I'm monitoring the traffic and error rates
of our
> > switches. However, the machine cannot keep up with 5 minutes period
and I
> > need to add several more targets into my base. So, this makes me
quite
> > worrying.
> >
> > I did a search in a mailing lists archive and found some
recommendations
> > for tweaking hard disk performance and switching over to another
tool.
> > Regarding the hard disk, I ran hdparm and gained about one third of
> > throughput, but it didn't helped too much. When it comes to
switching the
> > statistics tool, I'm not too keen on it.
> >
> > So, have anybody ran into similar problems and maybe have some
> > recommendations, what should I do. Put a brand new 500 Mhz machine
into
> > place ? Melt configuration files into one single piece ? Run mrtg in
mode,
> > in which the gif files aren't generated every time ?

How are you running these 56 configuration files. You should be able to
kick all of them off at the same time, or setup 10 scripts with each
running 5 or 6 of them sequentially. SNMP queries shouldn't take up that
much bandwidth, so you should be able to running a very large number of
queries all at the same time.

David C Prall, MCNE MCSE          DCP Technologies
dcp at dcptech.com                       Alexandria, VA
dcppage at dcptech.com               http://www.dcptech.com