[mrtg] Re: MRTG & AIX 4.2

Rick Horowitz rickh at ValleyYellowPages.com
Tue Oct 19 18:24:58 MEST 1999

There is an /etc/mib.defs file on the AIX boxen.  However, I have been
unable to figure it out myself.  Right now I'm monitoring only packets
in/out (which my installatino of MRTG automagically set up).  I can't figure
out how to monitor the various kinds of errors, and (most importantly for me
right now) I can't figure out how to monitor disk usage.

If you can make sense of the /etc/mib.defs file, please let me know.  I
don't know if that's all you need, or if there's something else in the
equation.

The file in question has lines that look like this:

tcpEstabResets       tcp.8            Counter         read-only
mandatory
tcpCurrEstab         tcp.9            Gauge           read-only
mandatory
tcpInSegs            tcp.10           Counter         read-only
mandatory
tcpOutSegs           tcp.11           Counter         read-only
mandatory
tcpRetransSegs       tcp.12           Counter         read-only
mandatory
tcpConnTable         tcp.13           Aggregate       not-accessible
mandatory
tcpConnEntry         tcpConnTable.1   Aggregate       not-accessible
mandatory
tcpConnState         tcpConnEntry.1   INTEGER         read-write
mandatory
tcpConnLocalAddress  tcpConnEntry.2   IpAddress       read-only
mandatory
tcpConnLocalPort     tcpConnEntry.3   INTEGER         read-only
mandatory
tcpConnRemAddress    tcpConnEntry.4   IpAddress       read-only
mandatory
tcpConnRemPort       tcpConnEntry.5   INTEGER         read-only
mandatory

And this:

unix                 enterprises.4
agents               unix.1
fourBSD-isode        agents.2
mbuf                 unix.2
peers                unix.3
unixd                peers.1
smux                 unix.4
netstat              unix.5
print                unix.6
users                unix.7

There are hundreds of lines, but I don't know what this all means.  I'm not
really knowledgeable about SNMP/RMON.  (In fact, I don't even fully
understand the difference between the two, let alone how to use them.)

Also, I run my MRTG on RH 5.2, so I can't say anything about monitoring from
an NT box.

Rick Horowitz                          Cisco Certified Network Associate
Network Administrator                   Microsoft Certified Professional
Valley Yellow Pages                                 AGI Publishing, Inc.
Direct:    (559) 251-8888 x290                      1850 N. Gateway Blvd
Toll Free: (800) 350-8887                          Fresno, CA 93727-1600
Fax:       (559) 251-4806               http://www.ValleyYellowPages.com