[mrtg] Re: Modem line utilisation

David C Prall dcp at dcptech.com
Wed Sep 1 14:16:34 MEST 1999

> Can anyone offer a suggestion to the following? I set up an MRTG
script a couple
> of weeks ago to monitor the number of PSTN/ISDN lines in use at any
one time.
> This worked and I have offered this script to several other users who
say it
> worked for them. I have two 120 modem racks (AS5300); one now reports
no
> connections (when there are 1 or 2) and the other reports, eg, 10
connections
> when there are 12. I have manually run MRTG to force an immediate
update.

> The only differences over the last week are these:
>
>     The telephone numbers have changed
>     I've added a chart to graph the combined usage of rack1 & rack2
>
> Here is a section of the script. I'm keen to hear of any
suggestions/solutions.

> If you have tried the OIDs that I posted recently, please could you
let me know
> if they report the correct number of conns? Does yours graph both
analogue &
> digtal correctly?
>
> Is it possible to set an Interval of LESS than 5 mins?
>
> Regards & Thanks
>
> Kev
>

> .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.47.1.1.6.0&.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.47.1.1.7.0:string at router
I don't know what these OID's are to begin with. But, could these be
analog phone calls only, or digital only. You say it is reporting 1 or 2
low in each instance. Perhaps you have a couple of people calling in use
ISDN BRI lines that are actually connecting digitally. There might be a
single OID that returns all calls, while there are seperate OID's to
report analog versus digital.

Just my nickel,

David C Prall, MCNE MCSE          DCP Technologies
dcp at dcptech.com                       http://www.dcptech.com
dcppage at dcptech.com