[mrtg] Still can't find libgd.so.0

Peter Lalor plalor at infoasis.com
Tue Sep 7 23:18:05 MEST 1999

Hi all,

This seems to be the problem du jour. Like several others, I can't
get MRTG 2.8.8 running on a Linux box. Using the stock Makefile, I get

.//rateup: error in loading shared libraries
libgd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

when doing "./mrtg mrtg.cfg". 'ldd rateup' shows this:

./rateup: error in loading shared libraries
libgd.so.0: cannot map file data: Bad file number

Poking around the list archives, I found Yozo's suggestions and I've
tried a few of them, but no joy.

Setting 'LDFLAGS =  -lm -lgd -lm -lpng -lz -R/usr/local/lib' makes no
difference.

Setting 'LDFLAGS =  -lm -Xlinker -Bstatic -Xlinker -L/opt/gd/lib -lgd
-lpng -lz' (which is flailing around) gets me:

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 11

But at least "ldd rateup" looks happier:

         libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x2aaad000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x2ab11000)
         /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x00000000)

...And I couldn't figure out Yozo's "editing rateup as a shell
script", because, well, I'm having a hard enough time with Unix as it
is. ;-)

(Please CC me your response; although the listserv shows me
subscribed, it doesn't send me the list for some reason.)

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/