[mrtg] Re: Linux router shows too low traffic

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at denalics.net
Wed Sep 15 11:12:44 MEST 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 paul.rosberg at esrange.ssc.se wrote:

> Hi!
> Have installed a Linux (Debian 2.1 with kernel 2.0.38) on a machine with
> two NIC's and it is acting as our gateway to internet.
> The router is just using ip-forwarding and everything works just fine (it
> is not using a routing daemon...just normal RIP).
> I installed snmp on the router and are using a linux box on the internal
> network to monitor the traffic thru the router with MRTG v2.8.8.
> The problem I have is that when I for example download a file for a long
> period of time, say 2 hours with around 50 kb/s,  MRTG only shows the
> traffic as just little over 20kb/s on any of the network cards. The
> internet connection we have is a 512kbit line.
> The graphs of the two network cards are almost identical with the
> difference that the networkcard for the internal network has reversed
> in/out levels as expected. I am using default settings pretty much that
> comes from using the cfgmaker.
> The puter I use to monitor the router is using Debian 2.1 with 2.2.12
> kernel.
> Anyone have a clue what the problem can be here?
>
> Regards,
> Paul

	2.0.x gives packet counts on interfaces, not octet counts
(2.2.x corrects this).

	You need to be running CMU snmpd (IIRC debian uses CMU), start
snmpd with -A, and set accounting rules as documented in the CMU snmp
docs.

 ---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.