[mrtg] Problems with MRTG and Windows NT

Leonardo Rodrigues coelho at persogo.com.br
Fri Sep 17 14:48:02 MEST 1999

    Dear Friends,

    I'm having a curious problem on monitoring my NT servers. Apparently
with no reasons ( no Dr. Watson errors, no MRTG errors, no Event Viewer
entries logged .. nothing ), mrtg seems to stop getting correct values from
some OIDs on Windows NT. As result, I get a flat line on my graphs. Note
that not all OIDs stop responding. Just some. Please take a look at:

http://burns.persogo.com.br/mrtg.html

Can you see the CPU usage is correct ? And can you see there are some wrong
flat line on my network traffic ? Yes, that's wrong. There was no backup,
and the server doesn't have a constant traffic such this. And even if it
happened, a constant traffic ( exactly the same, look at the .log file at
the end of this email ) is hardly difficult to get on a production server.

Have you ever experienced problems like these ?
The NT Server is: English NT4 with SP5
MRTG running on a RH6 box, mrtg 2.8.8, kernel 2.2.12 if it matters

The mrtg.cfg entry for the ethernet traffic is:

Target[homereth0]: 2:mycommunity at homer.mydomain.com
#10mbit/s network card - 1250000 mbytes/s
MaxBytes[homereth0]: 1250000
Directory[homereth0]: homer
Options[homereth0]: bits
LegendI[homereth0]: Bytes-IN:&nbsp
LegendO[homereth0]: Bytes-Out:&nbsp
Title[homereth0]: homer.mydomain.com - eth0 interface
PageTop[homereth0]: <H1>Network Traffic Analisys</H1>

My log file looks:

937522200 21897 13795 21897 13795
937521900 21897 13795 21897 13795
937521600 21897 13795 21897 13795