[mrtg] Re: rateup problem (solaris)

Yozo Toda yozo at aohakobe.ipc.chiba-u.ac.jp
Mon Sep 20 14:39:25 MEST 1999

> Anyone else yhat have seen this and can help me ?
>
> # ./mrtg test.cfg
> ld.so.1: .//rateup: fatal: libgd.so.0: open failed: Invalid argument

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (-:

Q:
mrtg compiled ok. but when I try to run mrtg, I see the error
  ld.so.1: .//rateup: fatal: libgd.so.0: open failed: Invalid argument
or
  ld.so.1: .//rateup: fatal: libgd.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
or such like.

A:
gd-1.6.3 now installs both "archive library" libgd.a and
"shared object" libgd.so, and
rateup is compiled with the shared object libgd.so
which is linked on runtime.
you can check this situation using /usr/bin/ldd command.

solution 1: set environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately
            when invoking rateup (see "man ld")

            example:
              rename rateup to .rateup (or any name you like)
              edit rateup as shell script containg the following four lines
              (assuming gd library resides in /opt/gd/lib/)

                #!/bin/sh
                LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gd/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                ./.rateup $*

solution 2: after configure'd and before make'ing,
            edit Makefile and add -R option to LDFLAG
            to specify the directory gd library resides.
            for example, change the line
                LDFLAGS =  -lm -L/opt/gd/lib -lgd -lpng -lz
                LDFLAGS =  -lm -L/opt/gd/lib -R/opt/gd/lib -lgd -lpng -lz
            which effects ld.so to search that directory.

solution 3: after configure'd and before make'ing,
            edit Makefile and add an option to LDFLAG
            to force ld to link the static library libgd.a.
            for example, option "-B static" is needed for Solaris /usr/ccs/ld.
            with GNU egcs compiler I can use -Xlinker option;

     LDFLAGS =  -lm -Xlinker -B -Xlinker static -L/opt/gd/lib -lgd -lpng -lz

(answer part copied from my message sent to mrtg mailing list:
  Subject: [mrtg] Re: MRT 2.8.6, GD 1.6.3
  Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:28:56 +0900
)

-- yozo.