[mrtg] Getting MRTG 2.8.8 to run on a RH 6.0 system

Honglim Lau lauhl at bumsoft.com.sg
Wed Sep 22 07:12:27 MEST 1999

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to MRTG and Linux so if this question has been asked before,
please forgive me.

I'm trying to get MRTG to run on my server to monitor traffic on a Cisco
2501 with a 128K link to a local ISP.  I downloaded and compiled the binary
according to the FAQ and accompanying instructions.  All required libraries
has been downloaded and installed.  MRTG compiles okay.  The configuration
file is also generated without errors.  However, when I execute the file
with the generated config file, the following error occurs:
-----
.//rateup: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgd.so.0: undefined symbol: deflateInit_

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 127 when doing router 'router.bumsoft.com.sg'
 code was 32512, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
 you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

.//rateup: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgd.so.0: undefined symbol: deflateInit_

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 127 when doing router '203.123.31.1.2'
 code was 32512, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
 you should probably investigate the cause. :-)
-----
I referred to the archives for help but I did not see any reference to
version 2.8.8 and the closest reference had a different error message.  I
would appreciate any help!!  Thank you in advance.

HL

PS: My equipment & OS: Redhat Linux 6.0 on Dell PowerEdge 2300, RAID 5 with
512M RAM.