[mrtg] Long Polling Times?

Chastain, Brian (I.T. Dept) ChastaiB at stifel.com
Wed Apr 5 17:53:19 MEST 2000

Gentlemen/Ladies,
     I'm currently monitoring 37 ports with my mrtg.cfg file, and am
planning to add about another 20.
     I'm using MRTG 2.8.12 on an NT PC with 128MB of RAM and a PIII-500
processor.
     It seems to take 6 to 7 minutes for the mrtg.cfg file to process.  Or,
rather, a gif file will say "last updated at 10:30" one time, then "last
updated at 10:37" the next time.
     Should this be a concern?  Is this normal?
     Does the difference in display time correspond to the amount of time it
takes the mrtg.cfg file to process?
     I've saw the email thread a week or two ago discussing "How much is too
much?" when it comes to monitoring.
     I don't think there was really any consensus.
     I guess my main question would be, can MRTG keep viable statistics as
the processing time increases; or does the process time relate at all to the
"last updated..." display?
Thanks for your help,
Brian

Brian K. Chastain