[mrtg] Re: OID's

afroeland at dansystem.dk afroeland at dansystem.dk
Mon Apr 17 15:46:37 MEST 2000

Hi Joe

All SNMP network devices contains the same basic MIB's, sometime also know as
public MIB's
Public MIB's have a RFC number. MRTG only uses the basic /public MIB in order to
get In and Out
Octets. The starting point for that data is (.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2)
or is you like dot format: (.1.3.6.1.2.1)

GETIF have by default the basic / public MIB's "in" the program, and you can
therefor get the data AND the description from all the OID that are in the basic
/ public MIB.

Now, - if you want to get some data that is very device / vendor specific, -
like cooling fan speed, you will
need the vendors device MIB in order to find the OID you must query.

If the vendor supplied some entry level management software together with the
product the MIB's is in most
cases with the software. Look for *.MIB or xyzMIB.txt. Normally you would also
be able to download the MIB's
from the vendor's WEB site

If you can't get the MIB a MIB browser like Getif will be able to get the data
from the device, this is also the reason
why MRTG can work without knowing the MIB. With GETIF you can push the bottom
called Walk and GETIF will go trough the hole MIB for you (using a SNMP command
called GETNext), - the problem is that you will NOT get a description of the
OID's so the information you get is not very useful.

Regards
Andreas Froeland
E-mail: Afroeland at dansystem.dk

Joe Tang <Jtang at spieker.com> on 12-04-2000 22:58:44