[mrtg] Re: Reporting Top-10 Usage stats

Fragmeister fragmeister at 3dgameforce.com
Tue Apr 18 22:14:23 MEST 2000

I am new to owning or renting a dedicated server and my provider is using
this to monitor the server bandwidth but I am still very skeptical and
confused on how they calculate every month and just now finding out my
bandwidth is going through the roof..

I am questioning the accuracy of this monitor and want to know if it is or
not 100% in calculating bandwidth? I am also wondering if I have 3 stat
programs running on my server and all have a data transfer total for each
site/month and I am trying to total up all of this and the hits my sites get
but it seems not to add up to what my server provider is stating I used in
bandwidth..

I get a total of 50GB free a month and my provider is saying I went over 25
GB but I cannot understand how when all my site hits totaled only a bit over
3 million hits and unique visits were a little over 100,000 for the month of
March. Now for the month of April they are saying I am averaging over 100GB
but this program does not show this to my understanding and the chart does
not show totals...I am just worried that I am getting ripped off and trying
to find the best way to track all this myself ,so I can compare it to my
providers totals each month and thought by calculating all the servers hits,
that I could do this..

How accurate is this program and could there possibly be a mistake in it's
reading, or has there ever been? When dealing with this much money for extra
bandwidth each month, I want to be 100% sure this monitor is doing the right
thing and not giving superficial readings and putting a whole in my
pockets..

Any help and understanding is really appreciated..

Thanks
John