[mrtg] Re: monitoring mailserver

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Apr 21 03:25:54 MEST 2000

At 4:31 -0700 4/20/00, Orcun OKMAN wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is my third mail to this mailling list but nobody helped me.
>But i want to ask again may be one of you help me.
>I was install mrtg on my NT server and i want  to monitor my mailserver.
>My mailserver is intermail .It is running on solaris.Snmp deamon is runnig
>on it.
>I want o make cfg file using cfgmaker but i could'nt .
>I use this command to make mrtg.cfg
>
>perl cfgmaker public at .........>mrtg.cfg
>
>This is error message.
>SNMP Error:
>Receive Snmp response with error code
>error status :noSuchName
>index <oid:1.3.6.1.2.1.2.1.0>
>.
>.
>.
>SNMPGET Problem for sysDescr sysContact sysName sysLocation ifNumber
>sysObjectID on ...........

I have also not received responses to questions on various lists.  One
reason you may not get a response is that you might be the first one to try
what you are doing.   I read from the title that you are trying to monitor
the mailserver process.  However the errors indicate that snmp on the
machine is not responding correctly.  I have never encountered such a
response from snmp and have no expierence with NT or Solaris.  Given the
volume on messages on the lists, make the title as descriptive as possible
so someone will feel like they have experince with the issue from just the
title.  If they don't feel they have experience from the title, their not
likely to read the text.

-- Doug