[mrtg] Re: question about SNMP on Server

Greg L greg at westmont.edu
Thu Apr 27 05:55:58 MEST 2000

i have been running mrtg for over a year now watching around 50 servers
and as many router interfaces.
as of yet, the results have been without fault.
there may, however, be errors introduced by incorrect configuration.
it is, however, very easy to correctly configure mrtg using the config
scripts that come with the package.

that said, it is easy to verify their results.
if you own the server, you have access to the snmp read only password
(or secret, which is often set to "public" as the default)
if so, setting up mrtg yourself would be a good project and a way for
you to monitor the traffic independently.

of course, all that they would need to do is ftp some large files from
your machine, and there goes the evidence.

my recommendation is this; trust your isp.

if you can't trust them, switch to another isp (after checking their
references ;) ) or do the hosting yourself.

good luck,

for more random free advice, email me :)

greg

Westmont College
http://zulu.westmont.edu/routers
805.565.7249