[mrtg] lockfile weirdness

Chris Waltham chris at insurancemyway.com.au
Tue Aug 1 03:08:59 MEST 2000

All,

I'm using mrtg 2.8.12 to monitor the two NICs on a FreeBSD box. It runs
great,
except every 5 minutes (that's how often it is in the cron job) I get an
email
to root saying:

ERROR: I guess another mrtg is running. A lockfile
(/usr/local/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg_l) aged
0 seconds is hanging around. If you are sure that no other mrtg
is running you can remove the lockfile

The thing is, there's never a lockfile in the directory when I look. Does
anyone
know why it might think there's one? cron is the only thing starting mrtg...

even having > /dev/null at the end of the cron line doesn't stop the
messages.

TIA and HAND,

--chris