[mrtg] Re: Can I stop MRTG for 1 hr?

Barry Irwin bvi-mrtg-list at rucus.ru.ac.za
Tue Aug 8 08:41:39 MEST 2000

On Tue 2000-08-08 (01:13), Wes Owen wrote:

> I run server to server backups from 2-3am every night, and it causes a huge
> traffic spike, throwing the graph off so much that I can't see anything
> except huge spikes when the backups occur.
>
> Would it be possible to make MRTG not run from 2-3am every morning and not
> have a huge spike?

quite possible, just have the appropriate entries in your crontab, somethign
like this:

*/5 3-23 *  * * <mrtgscript>
*/5 0-1  *  * * <mrtgscript>
0   2    *  *  *  <mrtgscript>

this will run every 5 minutes from midnight -01h55, at 02h00 , then from
03h00 -> 23h55

Graph might look a little funny ( should be a straight line at the level of
the last recorded reading iirc).

Barry