[mrtg] snmp time out

Steve Yingst (LMF Staff) runner at lmf.net
Wed Aug 9 18:37:28 MEST 2000

Hi,

We provide our business customers that have routers on ADSL circuits a
bandwidth graph on our page and if they really pump a lot of data through
the circuit it seems to slow down the response times enough that mrtg
reports the following message through the crontab.  I want to know if there
is a way to increase the wait time when it polls.  I could stop the e-mails
from coming through but we find this is also helpfull to let us know if a
customers circuit has dropped, so totally eliminating the e-mail is not our
desired route.

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "xxx.lmf.net" [x.x.x.x].161
                  community: "readme"
                 request ID: 1114983243
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 sysUptime sysName ifDescr.2
on readme at xxx.lmf.net
SNMPGET: Failed to reach target: "2:readme at xxx.lmf.net. I tried multiple
times!