[mrtg] Re: snmp time out

mbreton at geiger.com mbreton at geiger.com
Wed Aug 9 19:56:52 MEST 2000

Isn't it a better way to get the data to poll the device on your end of the
DSL link, and therefore you avoid the problem you are experiencing?

It might also be that I don't understand DSL enough to know if what I have
said is possible or not.

Michael Breton
Geiger
(207) 755-2338

                    "Steve Yingst
                    (LMF Staff)"             To:     <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
                    <runner at lmf.net>         cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [mrtg] snmp time out
                    mrtg-bounce at list.
                    ee.ethz.ch

                    08/09/2000 12:37
                    PM

Hi,

We provide our business customers that have routers on ADSL circuits a
bandwidth graph on our page and if they really pump a lot of data through
the circuit it seems to slow down the response times enough that mrtg
reports the following message through the crontab.  I want to know if there
is a way to increase the wait time when it polls.  I could stop the e-mails
from coming through but we find this is also helpfull to let us know if a
customers circuit has dropped, so totally eliminating the e-mail is not our
desired route.

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "xxx.lmf.net" [x.x.x.x].161
                  community: "readme"
                 request ID: 1114983243
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 sysUptime sysName ifDescr.2
on readme at xxx.lmf.net
SNMPGET: Failed to reach target: "2:readme at xxx.lmf.net. I tried multiple
times!