[mrtg] RRDTool VS MRTG?

Jack Barnett jbarnett at axil.netmate.com
Thu Aug 10 15:30:35 MEST 2000

I have setup an OpenBSD 2.6 i386 computer to act as a router and was going
to install mrtg to monitor all aspects (cpu, bandwidth, memory, etc) of it
(already use mrtg to monitor livingston portmasteres/routes and cisco
routers) and seen a link to RRDTool.

My question is, what advantages does RRDTool
(http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/) have over MRTG
(http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html) when monitor a
router/computer.  The OpenBSD router was going to run an snmpd so MRTG could
get the values.  I want to monitor all aspects of the system that is
possiable.

Is RRDTool a rewrite of MRTG?  Is MRTG going to get droped?

Thanks,
Jack