[mrtg] Multiple IF question

S. William Schulz sws at astrum.com
Fri Aug 11 21:22:27 MEST 2000

Greetings,

I'm a newbie to mrtg but I've STFM, FAQ, etc. and haven't found the answers.

I'm seeking to monitor several computers (linux).  I only want to monitor
one interface (NIC) per computer, but several of them have multiple IPs per
NIC.  The questions:

1)  Will pointing cfgmaker at the main IP for each box show all the
traffic?  Is there a way/need to break it down by IP?

2)  What is the proper way to build the .cfg file?  I'm using 2.9.0pre15
and generate the .cfg file by using:
	cfgmaker \
	--global 'WorkDir...' \
	--output ... \
	community at box1_ip \
	community at box2_ip \
	community at boxX_ip

This create a file, and it will (apparently) monitor that machine, but all
of the Title and  PageTop info contains the name/ip/speed/etc of the first box.

Should I run cfgmaker once for each machine and then merge the files?  If
so, should I enumerate the IPs for each box when creating that .cfg file
(comm at box_ip1 comm at box_ip2 ...)?

Thanks for any assistance.

SWS