[mrtg] Port status on switches.

Adrian Harris hedgehog at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 21:02:00 MEST 2000

I've set up a test system using mrtg to monitor traffic on the fast
ethernet ports on a Cisco switch.

There are two further enhancements I'd like to make, but I'm not sure if
these can be handled by mrtg, or possibly an external script or two.

1)      I'd like the admin and operational status of a port to affect the
background colour of the respective daily traffic chart. "Admin down"
makes it red, operationally down makes it yellow. That sort of idea.

2)      I'd like a separate chart, one for each switch, which shows a
running total for the number of operationally up ports. I expect this to
fluctuate during the working day, with a total bar to keep track of the
peak number. This peak would be cleared when another switch was added in
the cabinet and the cabling rearranged etc.

>From investigations, it looks like the latter task will be more difficult,
as, although it seems quite straightforward to get the admin/oper status,
I haven't found a single chartable value for the total number in use, so I
presume I'll somehow need to totalise the number which return a status of
up ?