[mrtg] SNMP4NT Update!

Garth K. Williams garth.williams at home.com
Sun Aug 27 10:36:51 MEST 2000

G'Morning fellow Listers!  Pardon the intrustion.

Get MORE out of MRTG!  Surf on over to the "SNMP for the Public Community"
web site at http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc, and check out
Implementation/SNMP4NT.

I thought I would let you know that there have been some major enhancements
to SNMP4NT in recent months, not the least of which is a completely new web
site design with no more black!. :)

* The most significant update is the addition of MS SQL Server 6.5/7
support.  By downloading SNMP4NT, installing it, and copying the proper MIB
files into your NMS, you could soon be monitoring SQL Server performance
statistics using SNMP.

* IIS 4.0 Web Service support has been added as well, so you can now monitor
virtual Web sites.

* Proxy Server 2.0 support has been enhanced, with the addition of Packet
Filter statistics such as protocol violations and filter denial.

* DHCP Server and WINS Server support has been added as well.

Of course, there is Exchange 5.5 support as well as HTTP, FTP, LanManager
and over 30 other Windows NT protocol and service statistics you can access
using SNMP and MRTG.

For those of you who don't know, SNMP4NT is the name I give to a
comprehensive compilation of MS Performance Counters and applications into
PERFMIB.MIB and MIB.BIN.  You need this if you want to use SNMP to collect
information about your Windows NT system.

You will also be glad to know that if you are currently using the SNMP4NT
PERFMIB.MIB with MRTG,  GOOD NEWS!  YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE ANY OF YOUR
CONFIG FILES OR SCRIPTS!  I always add new counters AFTER the existing
counters!

Thanks to the many of you who have provided me with support and helpful
information when I needed it!

Small Disclaimer:  As always, I test this stuff pretty thoroughly, but as my
system does not have the load or process the volume of information that some
production systems have, I cannot always test as thoroughly as I would like.
Please test yourself before full blown implementation on production systems!

Thank you for your time!

Garth K. Williams - MCSE, MCP+I, CNA
Williams Technology Consulting Services
Email: garth.williams at wtcs.org
Web: http://www.wtcs.org

Home of the "SNMP for the Public Community" Web
Web: http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc
Support for SNMP, Windows 95/98/NT/2000, NetWare and MRTG

Your source for SNMP4NT(c) - an enhanced Windows NT
SNMP Performance Monitor MIB.  Over 35 Stats!