[mrtg] Re: Capture Log

Larry Sheldon lsheldon at creighton.edu
Sun Dec 3 15:21:41 MET 2000

> RTFM.

In general, I am in favor of reading the documentation.

But, Mr. Kilbourne, you have become tedious and unthinking on the issue.

I am not entirely sure, but I think you mis-read the question.

I have been using MRTG for several years, and I have read, I believe, all
of the documentation publically available (including the program code).

I recently posted a question here that has not been addresses, although
it seems like somebody could have said "I don't think you can do that.".

I cam to the conclusion that indeed I was asking MRTG to do something that
it can't do and developed (had one of my bright people develope, actually)
a perl script to grab the current readings off the first line of two log
files and present them in alternate pairs ("In from one paired with "Out"
from the other and vice versa).

In testing the result, I spent about 20 wall-clock hours trying to find
the answer to the same question (in effect) that is being asked here.

"Why are the "In" and "Out" values in the resulting log files not exactly
equal to values in the original corresponding fields?"

I finally came to the conclusion, after a very fine reading of the source
code that the difference is due to the "normalization" that MRTG does
to account for the actual elapsed time between nominal 5-minute samples.

It is also possible that the original question is simpler than that, and
that the answer really is in the documentation--in which a simple 4-character
"RTFM" will suffuce--none of us need and I expect few uf us are entertained
by your patronizing pap. (The answer to the simpler question is probably
"As disussed in the log-format paper in the distribution, the first line
has the the actual time-stamp for the most recent sample, the value
read in the "In" counter, and the value read in the "Out" counter,
normalized to represent the values that would have been read if the sample
had been taken precisely 5 minutes after the preceeding one.  What you
see on the graph is the differences between those values and the preceeding
ones, after the differences have been through the arithmetic involving
time, averages, and so on.

> hmmm.....did you bother to look anywhere for your own answer?

And have you considered the long-term effects of your having earned a
spot in a bozo-filter where your postings will disappear into the void
without having assaulted a human mind?

> >     My name is Kelvin Ng Chee Hoong, and I'm newbie in MRTG.
> >      I recently installed MRTG-2.9.4 into Linux system . It's working
> > fine . But I don't understand why the value stored in the log file is
> > not as same as value displayed on the graph . For example , the value of
> > incoming packets for the particular router's serial interface was :
> > MaxIn(174Kbps) , Ave(20.9Kbps), Current(400bps) . But value in the log
> > file was :  48 4880 48 4880 . Why are they different ?
> >    Can somebody explain to me how to read the value in the log file ?
> >

> > --
> >

> --

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
.                                                                       .
- L. F. (Larry) Sheldon, Jr.                                            -
. Unix Systems and Network Administration                               .
- Creighton University Computer Center-Old Gym                          -
. 2500 California Plaza                                                 .
- Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A.  68178       Two identifying characteristics  -
. lsheldon at creighton.edu                  of System Administrators:     .
- 402 280-2254 (work)                Infallibility, and the ability to  -
. 402 681-4726 (cellular)               learn from their mistakes.      .
- 402 332-4622 (residence)                                              -
. http://www.creighton.edu/~lsheldon    Adapted from Stephen Pinker     .