[mrtg] Graphing abnormalities

Eric Werner ewerner at nwlink.com
Tue Dec 5 01:01:24 MET 2000

I have found a recent pattern in my graphs that I wanted to ask about and
see if anyone else has encountered/fixed.

On some graphs, there seems to be a periodic drop on the outbound
reporting.  On some, this is approximately every 2 hours, others show the
same behavior every 45 minutes, others every 4 hours, and finally others
not at all.  Does anyone know of anything that would cause this behavior?
To make things even stranger, there are two different cycles going on on
two of my graphs, yet a third, which is simply adding the two together,
does not display this behavior at all.

Could this be something in the reporting that is losing the information,
or the creation of the graphs themselves, or just the way planets are
aligned?

For background information, this has happened with versions 2.8.12 and
2.9.4, though it shows up more often in 2.9.4.  (I'm transitioning from
one version to the other...)  Also, this is a Redhat 6.1 system with a 100
MB NIC and SCSI disks.

Any help or commiseration is appreciated.  Thanks much.