[mrtg] How to monitor the traffic for a serial interface on a Linux server?

Constantin Teodorescu teo at flex.ro
Sun Dec 10 15:01:57 MET 2000

Hello,

I'm using MRTG to monitor the traffic on my CISCO serial interfaces!
It's working just fine but I want to monitor also the traffic on a
serial inteface (ppp0) on my Linux server.
OS = RedHat i386 6.2 with ucd-snmp installed and running

What configuration files (snmpd.conf or snmp.conf) should I change in
order to make available information about the traffic on my serial line
and how should the mrtg.cfg file look?

Searched the net all day long in order to find a small HOWTO on
configuring SNMP to get information about various interfaces but I
didn't find anything that could be easily understand.

Thanks in advance
Best regards,
--
Constantin Teodorescu