[mrtg] Re: top 10 utilization graphs

Bradford Woodcock bwoodcoc at Genuity.com
Tue Dec 12 20:47:16 MET 2000

Thomas,

You would need scripting experience but here is how we approached a similar
requirement. I parse through all the html files and extract the target
names and values and write them out to a csv file every five minutes. Then
a quick sort on which value/column (5min current, average, etc) gives you
the topN. We can then produce topN against any of the values seen for all
links. A little extra logic even separates LAN from WAN links from ISLs. I
then even wrote a sorting function from a web page...pretty slick for topN.

One recommendation I would make to help you is to convince your boss to do
topN for links...not routers as a whole. First off this is more important
to the real issues of link performance and it also saves you from trying to
do math on values for all links of each router.

cheers,
brad...