[mrtg] Re: top 10 utilization graphs

Keith McCallion keith at mccallion.com
Wed Dec 13 01:16:42 MET 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Bradford Woodcock wrote:

> You would need scripting experience but here is how we approached a similar
> requirement. I parse through all the html files and extract the target
> names and values and write them out to a csv file every five minutes.

Depending on what version of MRTG you are running, this solution might not
work for you (you would need to be using rateup instead of rrdtool for
storage and graph creation).

I have a report that runs every night to tell us about any interfaces that
are over 70% utilization, so we can plan to upgrade these interfaces in
the near future. To do this I run an rrdtool graph command for each
interface and PRINT the MAX in/out variable, figure out the percent of
MaxBytes that variable is, and if it is over 70%, print it out with a
bunch of information on what device it is on, what port is being utilized,
the in/out traffic breakdown. It works pretty well, but is definetly a
hack.

I can probably offer you some help on your own tool, if you contact me
offline. I unfortunetly can't share the entire perl script with the list,
though. :(

--
Keith McCallion
keith at mccallion.com