[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

Barry Irwin bvi-mrtg-list at rucus.ru.ac.za
Wed Dec 13 16:36:33 MET 2000

On Wed 2000-12-13 (16:26), kamesh babu wrote:

>  We have some linux servers, hpunix servers and windows Nt servers
> colocated at ISP end . The isp has allocated fixed bandwidth for our
> subnet. We want to know how much bandwidth is utilized by each individual
> servers ( no. of packets sent and received)
Octets sent and received will be what you are wanting in order to measure
the bandwidth used by the servers,  Measuring just the packet counts will
not give you an indication of the bandwidth used, due to the fact that not
all your packets are the same size - ranging from 64-1514 bytes on an
ethernet network.

> Is it possible to use MRTG for this as we dont own any routers and we want
> to monitor only linux, NT and HP-unix servers.
Yes it certainly is.  Look at installing an SNMP Daemon on the linux and and
Hpux boxed ( UCD or CMU snmp daemons are both freely avalible).  IIRC there
is an snmp daemon for NT as part of the NT resource kit ( but I may very
well be wrong- I try and avoid NT :-) )

Once you have this up and running , its is a matter of configuring MRTG
accordingly.

Barry