[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi and performance

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Wed Dec 13 18:32:47 MET 2000

In article <000701c0651c$09a26060$f4a69793 at geeur.bt.com>,
	M.Dorenbos at concert.net ("Marcel Dorenbos") writes:

> The performance issue is when I want to use 14all.cgi. We have extensive
> configuration files and it takes up to 9 seconds to parse them. I know one
> solution from the discusion before, break down the configuration files into
> smaller pieces.
>
> I know that MRTG is caching the SNMP requests in the OK file (this actually
> makes a big difference!).

I thought that file holds only the interface/ip/arp table if you use the
'interface-by-name/ip/eth...' feature!?

> Maybe it is an idea to cache the results of the
> parsing as well in a perl compatible way, for eg:

14all v1.0 (for mrtg 2.8) contains code to cache the config. I didn't
get a response from sites with big mrtg installations (they will use
mrtg 2.9) so I don't know how good this is. I plan to port this to 14all
v1.1/mrtg 2.9 but this is a major change to mrtg (MRTG_lib) so I habe to
talk with Tobi about this and I don't have the time for it now.

Chris Green did some work on performance for 14all, maybe he listens and
wants to provide his work to the list...

Rainer