[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi and performance

Chris Green cmg at uab.edu
Wed Dec 13 19:57:22 MET 2000

Here I'm monitoring 4000+ targets with mrtg/rrdtool and the mrtg
process takes ~30-40 seconds with Forks: 4.  The processing time has
gone down even more that I'm running mrtg in daemon mode.

Machine is a dual 733 pIII w/ 1 gig of ram and scsi drives.

A couple 14allv1.1 releases ago, I added a quick and dirty cache to
the config parsing and Joe Gooch <mrwizard at psu.edu> worked on
generating mrtg graphs at run the first cgi call rather than waiting
and parsing the config file for each individual stat.

This makes one huge config file work pretty well.  There is a slight
pause on huge target directories but nothing major.

Logarithmic graphs are also a runtime option.

One configuration change is there is a 14all*htmlbasedir for the
basedirecotory to your pngs.  The log and config directories also will
have to be writable by the cgi process for both the images and the
cache.

http://helium.tucc.uab.edu/~sprout/14all_cmg/ has the code

--
Chris Green <cmg at uab.edu>