[mrtg] Re: 14all and authorization

Rippe, Mark (CCI-Warwick) Mark.Rippe at cox.com
Wed Dec 13 18:33:23 MET 2000

i found this in the big brother archives.
hopefully this will help.

---- snip ----

Let's assume you're using Apache on unix. If not, stop here.

Did you modify your conf files to use Basic Authentication? If not, read on.

Long Explaination: see http://www.apache.org/docs/

Quick Explaination: You need to add a Directory directive to your
access.conf
Here is an example which password protects the entire Big Brother web site,
adjust as necessary:

<Directory /usr/local/bb/www>
AuthType Basic
AuthName BigBrother
AuthUserFile /usr/local/bb/.htpasswd
require valid-user
Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

With Apache, you can password-protect the whole site, the cgi-bin directory
or even just the bb-servmaint.sh script. For details, see the long
explaination.

"Windows may break but the Sun will always shine" -Unknown

--Jeff
Unix Systems Administrator
Blackboard, Inc.
1899 L St., NW